Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 11:35:25 +0100

> Am 17.12.2021 um 11:19 schrieb Andreas Fink <afink@list.fink.org>:
>

> H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote on 17.12.21 10:57:
>>
>>> Am 17.12.2021 um 10:33 schrieb Andreas Fink <afink@list.fink.org>:
>>>
>>> packages in Debian are quite old and don't support objc2.0. So they are
>>> not suitable for new development.
>>> I always build my own packages due to that.
>> That is why I propose the idea to provide a separate, maintained repository
>> outside of debian.org
>> but compatible to it...
>>
>> People just
>> 1. add some /etc/apt/sources.list.d/gnustep.conf to e.g. deb.gnustep.org
>> (see https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository)
>> 2. download and install some GPG key
>> 3. then apt-get update
>> 4. and apt-get install gnustep
>> 5. later apt-get upgrade
>>
>> Same can be done for Ubuntu.
>>
>> So if you already build your own packages, why not publish them in such a
>> repo? Incl. objc2.0?
>
> it is public already. I use it heavily in my ulib library and all
> libraries based on top of it (such as universalss7).
>
> Add the repo key:
>
>     wget -4 -O - http://repo.universalss7.ch/debian/key.asc |apt-key add -
> or
>     apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com
> EE85CFC98EC405E3115EE86BD173212BFB27007D # UniversalSS7
>
> add the repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> Debian10
>     deb http://repo.universalss7.ch/debian/ buster universalss7
>
> Debian 11
>     deb http://repo.universalss7.ch/debian/ bullseye universalss7
>
> I can built for Intel and arm64
> I also built one for Ubuntu a while back.
> Not much difference.
>
> The versions in my repo are built for my own use and thus are installed
> in /usr/local/ to not interfer with anything installed from other sources.

Good!

> I can build a release version for debian 10 or 11 if I know how the
> original packages where built.
> (what config otions etc)

That is nice!!!

So we would just need some deb.gnustep.org forwarding so that the
real repo location can be switched easily...

>>> Btw who is the Debian maintainer for the gnustep builds?
>> In my proposal it could be a member of the GNUstep community so we don't
>> have to wait
>> for someone from Debian core...
>
> I agree but "someone from Debian core" must be someone who built it
> originally. The config of these builds is what interests me.

Ok, that can be found out through e.g. (same scheme for all other packages):

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/gnustep-make

There is a Maintainer list on the rightmost column.
It mentions an e-mail address: pkg-gnustep-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org

And you can also download the files gnustep-make_2.8.0-1.dsc etc. which
includes the config used for compilation.

Or alternatively apt-get the source package and look inside how Debian would
build from source.

BR,
Nikolaus