Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 19:17:55 +0100

Hi,

Am Freitag, Dezember 17, 2021 22:48 CET, schrieb Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola@libero.it>:

> Hi Liam,
>
> On 2021-12-16 17:22:07 +0100 Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> To my knowledge it is outdated, last referenced version I see is 2017.
> >
> > That's odd. I do not see the message you're replying to in this thread.
> >
> > Anyway, yes, there was a demo LiveCD, and also a (IMHO very cluttered) VM
> > image.
> >
> > But that makes the system look outdated & archaic.
>
> I agree, the last version of the LiveCD was cluttered, incomplete too and had
> issues; it was never sorted out. Also it was a very strange combination of
> BSD kernel with Debian. I would prefer one or the other.
>
> One Step to GNUstep instead was very plished and complete, but only a VM.
>
> The LiveCD was assembled with Debian packages, so there was the issue of
> non-present packages and release-cycles. I remember Gürkan had to fight with
> these and take compromises. It was still quite some work he did
>

> > I submit we need installable binary packages for at least 1 current,
> > mainstream Linux distro, making it as easy to get a GNUstep system up
> > and running as it is to get any other Linux desktop environment.
>
> Debian offers current packages and installing them is easy.
> Gentoo does too.
>

> > No, not BSD; while I admire all the BSDs, they are not beginner-friendly
> > OSes.
>
> Debatable… I use all of them, and was amazed at how "easy" BSDs have become.
> True, you need not to fear the command line, but beginners are not alike,
> some are not stupid, just beginners.
> NetBSD, OpenBSD carry GNUstep packages and they provide binary packages.
> Installing on an Intel Laptop was a piece of cake, all setup with questions,
> then with "pkgin install xxx" "pkg

On OpenBSD, it's just a two step process to get a GNUstep desktop:
sudo pkg_add gnustep
and then create/edit your .xsession:
gpbs
gdnc
wmaker &
GWorkspace

And then that's what you get with the pkg_add command:
https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/meta/gnustep/Makefile?rev=1.13&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
libobjc2 is still 1.8.1, as I had quite trouble updating to newer versions, but
the rest of it is all latest releases.

cheers,
Sebastian