Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: Xavier Brochard
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 16:15:24 +0100

Le 16.12.2021 17:22, Liam Proven a écrit :
I submit we need installable binary packages for at least 1 current,
mainstream Linux distro, making it as easy to get a GNUstep system up
and running as it is to get any other Linux desktop environment.

Fred Kiefer was maintaining a lot of gqood packages for OpenSuSE in the past
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/X11:GNUstep

As a way of saying that GNUstep is alive and well, the best demo I can
think of is, for example, a current Ubuntu preinstalled with GNUstep &
as many GNUstep apps as possible, ready to install and use. To show
off the apps and that it is a rich and mature framework.

Debian and Ubuntu based distros are the most current at end users home to day (according to distrowatch)

I know, there's no "native" web browser. That is not a biggie; just
bundle Firefox. To be ambitious, take the Javascript plugin that
Ubuntu used to integrate Firefox into Unity and make it display
GNUstep style menus instead.

Fully agree. A browser is a big task to do, and need a full team to maintains the required plugins by today's web. Plus, it is easier to use the same browser on mobile phone and desktop. And mobile is currently near 75% of user-clients on the web. Firefox is the best for privacy.

---
Librement,
Xavier Brochard xavier@alternatif.org
La liberté est à l'homme ce que les ailes sont à l'oiseau (Jean-Pierre Rosnay)