Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:57:34 +0100

> Am 17.12.2021 um 10:33 schrieb Andreas Fink <afink@list.fink.org>:
>
> packages in Debian are quite old and don't support objc2.0. So they are
> not suitable for new development.
> I always build my own packages due to that.

That is why I propose the idea to provide a separate, maintained repository
outside of debian.org
but compatible to it...

People just
1. add some /etc/apt/sources.list.d/gnustep.conf to e.g. deb.gnustep.org (see
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository)
2. download and install some GPG key
3. then apt-get update
4. and apt-get install gnustep
5. later apt-get upgrade

Same can be done for Ubuntu.

So if you already build your own packages, why not publish them in such a repo?
Incl. objc2.0?

> Btw who is the Debian maintainer for the gnustep builds?

In my proposal it could be a member of the GNUstep community so we don't have
to wait
for someone from Debian core...

BR,
Nikolaus