Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 16:46:48 +0100

On Fri, 17 Dec 2021 at 22:05, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

> For the end-user how just wants to install the applications, which is what we
> are here discussing, doesn't care the runtime and language used, they just
> want to install and run the packages.

No, I disagree.

There remains a huge amount of interest in Linux desktops. Far more
than on any other free Unix variant.

There are old and new Win95-like desktops, using Qt (old KDE, new
LXQt), Gtk (old MATE, XFCE; new, Cinnamon), and EFL (Enlightenment,
Moksha) and other more niche toolkits such as FLTK (EDE).
There are new very-vaguely Mac or Mac OS X-like desktops, e.g.
Pantheon (Elementary OS), Unity/Lomiri/Unity X (UBPorts, Ubuntu Unity)
There are attempted independent desktops (e.g. Budgie from Solus)

There's a lot of noise out there. A lot of interest.

GNUstep also has a packaging system, which is the reason I discussed
it in my article.

If you are wondering how to "market" it _to programmers_ these days,
then I suspect the answer lies in supporting newer languages than
Obj-C.

Swift is the obvious one:
https://github.com/apple/swift-system

Ones that might interest people in RAD and so on...
• Kotlin perhaps?
• Python, obviously
• Rust and Go up to a point -- trendy but maybe not so much for GUI apps?

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven@gmail.com