Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 22:05:35 +0100

Hi,

On 2021-12-17 10:33:58 +0100 Andreas Fink <afink@list.fink.org> wrote:

> packages in Debian are quite old and don't support objc2.0. So they are
> not suitable for new development.
> I always build my own packages due to that.
> Btw who is the Debian maintainer for the gnustep builds?

For the end-user how just wants to install the applications, which is what we
are here discussing, doesn't care the runtime and language used, they just want
to install and run the packages.

Also "not suitable for new development" is debatable… only if you want and need
those features, I develop fine without.

This shows again the different needs of just a user and a developer like you.
However, you are clever enough to build your own.

Building GNUstep is actually very easy, there are scripts for that.

A possible solution would be to have a continuous build system and provide a
debian repository, which an end-user could add and install. Skype, for example,
is distributed that way.

Also, we could even have two versions, GCC and Clang/libobjc; this would "test
building" in these combination which is quite interesting.

Supposing to support gcc and clang, intel 32bit 64bit, PPC 32bit and 64bit, ARM
32bit and 64bit, would give 12 combinations, perfectly manageable. I actually
don't know if clang works on all these systems on linux, on BSD I know it
doesn't. We would only do that for releases of course.

We need some infrastructure for this, but could be quite useful.

Riccardo

--
Sent with GNUMail running on MacOS 10.7