Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: Andreas Fink
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 11:19:33 +0100

H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote on 17.12.21 10:57:

>> Am 17.12.2021 um 10:33 schrieb Andreas Fink <afink@list.fink.org>:
>>
>> packages in Debian are quite old and don't support objc2.0. So they are
>> not suitable for new development.
>> I always build my own packages due to that.
> That is why I propose the idea to provide a separate, maintained repository
> outside of debian.org
> but compatible to it...
>
> People just
> 1. add some /etc/apt/sources.list.d/gnustep.conf to e.g. deb.gnustep.org (see
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository)
> 2. download and install some GPG key
> 3. then apt-get update
> 4. and apt-get install gnustep
> 5. later apt-get upgrade
>
> Same can be done for Ubuntu.
>
> So if you already build your own packages, why not publish them in such a
> repo? Incl. objc2.0?

it is public already. I use it heavily in my ulib library and all
libraries based on top of it (such as universalss7).

Add the repo key:

    wget -4 -O - http://repo.universalss7.ch/debian/key.asc |apt-key add -
or
    apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com
EE85CFC98EC405E3115EE86BD173212BFB27007D # UniversalSS7

add the repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list

Debian10
    deb http://repo.universalss7.ch/debian/ buster universalss7

Debian 11
    deb http://repo.universalss7.ch/debian/ bullseye universalss7

I can built for Intel and arm64
I also built one for Ubuntu a while back.
Not much difference.

The versions in my repo are built for my own use and thus are installed
in /usr/local/ to not interfer with anything installed from other sources.
I can build a release version for debian 10 or 11 if I know how the
original packages where built.
(what config otions etc)

>> Btw who is the Debian maintainer for the gnustep builds?
> In my proposal it could be a member of the GNUstep community so we don't have
> to wait
> for someone from Debian core...

I agree but "someone from Debian core" must be someone who built it
originally. The config of these builds is what interests me.