Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: Xavier Brochard
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 09:19:30 +0100

On 2021-12-16 17:22:07 +0100 Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
No, not BSD; while I admire all the BSDs, they are not beginner-friendly OSes.

Debatable… I use all of them, and was amazed at how "easy" BSDs have
become. True, you need not to fear the command line, but beginners are
not alike, some are not stupid, just beginners.

I think that GNUstep need to debate about what users they want to target. Young and enthusiast peoples knows Ubuntu, while more experienced ones have learned the free software "ecosystem". Young and enthusiast are students and have more free time than workers, experienced peoples are already busy with other projects.

I know, there's no "native" web browser. That is not a biggie; just
bundle Firefox. To be ambitious, take the Javascript plugin that
Ubuntu used to integrate Firefox into Unity and make it display
GNUstep style menus instead.

That could be interesting to integrate with our menus, however latest
Firefox killed menus

Huh ? they are still available. Just press the Alt key.

so I would just package Firefox as-is. It is becoming a UX of
its own.

It is true that users who already knows Firefox will not have trouble with its native UI. A GNUStep style menu can be postponed. An easy task for young and enthusiast people :-)

---
Librement,
Xavier Brochard xavier@alternatif.org
La liberté est à l'homme ce que les ailes sont à l'oiseau (Jean-Pierre Rosnay)