Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 13:17:33 +0100

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 at 00:08, Sergii Stoian <stoyan255@gmail.com> wrote:

> For the sake of truth - NextSpace has 3 binary releases (RPMs). Please look
> carefully here https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/releases.
> Last 0.90 release support 3 bistro: CenOS 7, CentOS 8 and Fedora 31.

Aha! That is excellent.  I had missed that.

I will see if I can install it in a VM.

> Also it includes install script and installation process pretty much simple
> even for non-technical person like you.

Um. "Not a programmer" != "non-technical person".

I've been a *nix sysadmin since 1988 and working with Linux since
1996. I have designed, implemented, built and supported more networks
than I can remember, and systems I built and ran handled $600M of
business per day, every day, for years on end, with the only downtime
being due to external factors such as leased line failure.

I am, I think, very much a technical person and have been for my whole career.

The thing is, I know my strengths and weaknesses, and while I *can*
program in 3 or 4 languages, I am not good at it. So I focus on what I
am good at, not what I am bad at.

> Some time ago I’ve started NextSpace development on FreeBSD. I’ve consciously
> switched to Linux for 2 reasons: most commercial applications are written for
> Linux (RHEL and Ubuntu) and FreeBSD lacks such powerful system-level
> utilities like UDisks (for automatic removable media management).

I agree regarding FreeBSD.

Do you think it would be easy, or hard, or near-impossible to get the
NEXTSPACE desktop running on Ubuntu or on Debian?

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven@gmail.com