Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software

From: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 18:21:03 +0100

On Monday 26 May 2008 18:10, Stephen Mount wrote:

> I don't want to have to setup smart mailboxes / automatic things that
> move the mails to a specific folder, I believe a mailing list traffic
> should be kept to a minimum, for example just meeting announcements,
> otherwise in my eyes it should just be classed as junk mail,
> especially with mails being a paragraph or two.

I don't have any mail filtering for the Manchester Free Software list.
If I'm not interested in a thread (such as the debate on moral
absolutism), I tell my mail client (KMail) to ignore it.

Looks like there's another vote for an announcement mailing list :)

> Web forums can be modified/setup to automatically mail you if every
> single post/thread, and you can tell them to leave you alone too for
> when/when you want to browse them.

You can disable reception of e-mail at
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/options/fsuk-manchester if you just
want to browse the web archives, or browse a web interface which will
allow you to set more fine-grained notifications.

> The advantage of mailing lists is that you get your own message back
> (useless)!  - another reason a forum would be better because it
> doesn't e-mail you your own mail...

You can choose whether or not to receive copies of your own mail at
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/options/fsuk-manchester

Dave
--
Dave Page <address@hidden>