Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software

From: Paul Waring
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 19:08:08 +0100

Stephen Mount wrote:
I don't want to have to setup smart mailboxes / automatic things that move the mails to a specific folder

Why not? It's trivial to do using procmail, and most decent email providers will provide some form of web interface for you to do the same thing. I'm fairly sure several of the popular mail clients will also filter your mail for you if you setup a few rules.

The advantage of mailing lists is that you get your own message back (useless)! - another reason a forum would be better because it doesn't e-mail you your own mail...

I personally think that's a good thing, as it means I can keep a track of the whole thread instead of having my posts missing from it. As several people have pointed out though, it's trivial to turn this option off in Mailman on an individual basis if you want to.

Paul