Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 14:33:32 +0100

On 26/05/2008, Simon Ward <address@hidden> wrote:
>  I'm just as concerned about free software for young people as I am for
>  free software with anyone else.  Should we also have a free software
>  list for the elderly?  Asian people?  Businesses?  We're tackling the
>  same things here.

That's a very common reaction to someone suggesting a new group for
$minority.. if you are interested in free software for businesses, for
example, and you feel there is a need then perhaps you should set up a
group. The presence of a group for one particular subset of the
community does not preclude the existence of other groups. And as Tim
has said a few times, the idea is to integrate people who might not
otherwise get involved and not segregate the existing community.

[snip]

> Then we should make Manchester Free Software and this list more
>  welcoming to younger people.

Absolutely, in fact I think that speaking to a group of young people
and asking them what we could do would be a good start.. ;)