Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 16:28:10 +0100

Simon Ward wrote:
On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 01:39:41PM +0100, Tim Dobson wrote:
Does it actually need a separate mailing list?
I think it does.

Care to elaborate?

I thought I had later on in the previous mail. However I will do more in a minute.

this mailing list contains a lot of stuff which is mostly irrelevant.

If the primary motivation of the new group is free software related,
then any irrelevances should really be off topic on this list too.

In the context, I meant "irrelevant to young people".
I'm sorry if this wasn't clear.

I am not suggesting that anyone be disallowed from being on any mailing list, rather than it be well known that the lists have different focuses which, in theory, should be adhered to.

Again, see above.  How different is the focus really?

I’m just as concerned about free software for young people as I am for
free software with anyone else.  Should we also have a free software
list for the elderly?  Asian people?  Businesses?  We’re tackling the
same things here.

Obviously you are exagerating my position a bit, however if people feel intimidated or afraid to post because of there being really serious discussions going on then perhaps instead of getting rid of the serious discussion about free software ethics - something you know I feel strongly about - we should look at what we can do.

I feel that the mailing is not very geared up to providing a social space for young people interested in free software. In addition, it's rather hard to have discussions about internal advocacy within schools without feeling that the well meaning replies are rather out of touch.

 >>> Although I support groups in schools, youth centres, etc, I feel that
branching [off] completely would just exacerbate ageism.
If we have a contact with a school or youth group, and they would like us to do something with them, we should take it seriously and see what we can do.

You sidestepped a little.
Actually, I simply misunderstood...

 I’m _still_ talking about mailing list
separation when I say “branching off”.  I said I support other groups
forming, but still don’t see the necessity for another list.

I think it is hard to see as someone who has not been very active with the youth contingent of this group. One of the things that has been said to me is that they would "never look at the [manchester free software] list" if they joined it. By creating something a focus on young people we are giving people a second reason to join and look at it.

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net
----