Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 17:03:44 +0100

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 04:28:10PM +0100, Tim Dobson wrote:
>> If the primary motivation of the new group is free software related,
>> then any irrelevances should really be off topic on this list too.
>
> In the context, I meant "irrelevant to young people".
> I'm sorry if this wasn't clear.

The primary motivation is young people, and not free software then.

>>> I am not suggesting that anyone be disallowed from being on any
>>> mailing  list, rather than it be well known that the lists have
>>> different focuses  which, in theory, should be adhered to.
>>
>> Again, see above.  How different is the focus really?
>>
>> I’m just as concerned about free software for young people as I am for
>> free software with anyone else.  Should we also have a free software
>> list for the elderly?  Asian people?  Businesses?  We’re tackling the
>> same things here.
>
> Obviously you are exagerating my position a bit,

There’s no exaggeration there.  All are different groups, some of them
we have talked about targetting specifically as Manchester Free
Software.

> however if people feel intimidated or afraid to post because of there
> being really serious discussions going on then perhaps instead of
> getting rid of the serious  discussion about free software ethics -

All I feel I can do at the moment is to attempt to put those who do feel
intimidated at ease—it’s just as much their list and group-and ask what
we can do to make it better.

> rather hard to have discussions about internal advocacy within schools
> without feeling that the well meaning replies are rather out of touch.

That’s a chance to educate the rest of us, rather than create artificial
communities.

> One of the things that has been said to me is that they would "never
> look at the [manchester free software] list" if they joined it. By
> creating something a focus on young people we are giving people a second
> reason to join and look at it.

As I said in reply to Lucy, I’ll happily stand aside and let you get on
with it.  It is up to you, and I feel you have the capability to get
things off the ground.  Just remember to tell us how we can help.

simple system that works.—John Gall