Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 14:51:17 +0100

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 02:33:32PM +0100, Lucy wrote:
> group. The presence of a group for one particular subset of the
> community

… involves duplication of effort that’s just not necessary.

> has said a few times, the idea is to integrate people who might not
> otherwise get involved and not segregate the existing community.

That’s the idea, but it doesn’t just work like that.  In reality topics
will get herded onto one list when they will be relevant on both more
often than not, and I also imagine an obscene amount of cross‐posting to
cater for the fact that the separate lists are in fact covering the same
topics.

Note again, that I’m talking about mailing list, and not the existence
of sub‐groups themselves.

> > Then we should make Manchester Free Software and this list more
> >  welcoming to younger people.
>
> Absolutely, in fact I think that speaking to a group of young people
> and asking them what we could do would be a good start.. ;)

exactly what I’m trying to get at rather than just sprouting up another
list every time someone feels a subset of the community is left out.

simple system that works.—John Gall