Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 13:39:41 +0100

Simon Ward wrote:
On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 10:18:32PM +0100, Tim Dobson wrote:
What do people think to the formation of a group and mailing list, to

Does it actually need a separate mailing list?

I think it does.

(Yeah, I know I argued for separate -announce and -discuss already :) )

Heh. I'm starting to come round to the idea of a premoderated announce list and a discussion list after you showed me those stats about average mails/day.
Let's move to a different thread if you want to discuss that though. :-)

The new group could benefit from the input of many on the list, and not
all of the concerns that apply to young people for physical meetups
apply on a mailig list.

Totally. I agree with you completely. This mailing list could also benefit from everything they/we have to say too however this mailing list contains a lot of stuff which is mostly irrelevant. I am not suggesting that anyone be disallowed from being on any mailing list, rather than it be well known that the lists have different focuses which, in theory, should be adhered to.

Conversely, awereness of young people in free software can be built up
by maintaining a strong presence.

Indeed, but this isn't going to happen overnight.
I would suggest that we are at a ceiling at the moment and are gaining younger people at a relatively slow rate anyway which makes me think that things could be improved.

Although I support groups in schools, youth centres, etc, I feel that
branching of completely would just exacerbate ageism.

If we have a contact with a school or youth group, and they would like us to do something with them, we should take it seriously and see what we can do.

We should not go hunting for schools or youth groups, as at the momement, we are too few to cover the large amount of organisations in the GM area.

--
www.tdobson.net
----