emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 16:30:55 +1000

On 2021-02-05 14:40, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Luis Henriques <henrix@camandro.org> writes:
Anyway, using .bib seems to be a very good suggestion (the best one I got in this thread so far!). Again, thanks and I'll definitely give Ebib a
try.

An alternative is keeping all the books as org headings.

I'd echo Joost's recommendation to use BibTex and Ebib, which is an incredible package. You can also edit the raw BibTex library file with bibtex-mode. This is definitely the best way if you ever intend to cite any of the books.

Another option is GNU recutils [1] which is a plain text relational database. It comes with an Emacs interface. This is if you want to do fancy things like keeping a single record for each author, then performing a join for their books, with record like this:

author: Joey Jojo Shabadoo
id: 12

title: The Critique of Pure Raisins
year: 1995