emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager

From: Luis Henriques
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 11:57:08 +0000

On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 12:40:21PM +0800, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Luis Henriques <henrix@camandro.org> writes:
> > Anyway, using .bib  seems to be a very good suggestion (the best one I got
> > in this thread so far!).  Again, thanks and I'll definitely give Ebib a
> > try.
>
> An alternative is keeping all the books as org headings. The metadata
> can be stored in properties of the heading. The advantage of this
> approach is ability to store the actual book files as attachments to the
> headings. You can even mark/schedule books for reading by adding TODO to
> the book headline. Searching can be done using org-ql (it can also
> search metadata). The books can be easily added to the library using
> capture templates and org-capture-ref.

Yeah, this is *exactly* what I first had in mind when I sent my email to
the mailing-list.  I even started outlining the headings/properties for
the entries.  But I wanted to know what other people were using, as not
using some sort of relational database would obviously add a lot of
duplicated information (which bib(la)tex doesn't solve either, of
course).

But yeah, for the moment I'm playing a bit with Ebib and see how it goes.
I've even scripted the conversion of data I have into a .bib file!  So, I
already can see most of my books are already in Ebib.

Cheers,
--
Luis