emacs-humanities

[emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager

From: Luis Henriques
Subject: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 22:25:12 +0000

Hi!

Hopefully this isn't really too off-topic for the mailing-list.  Here it
goes anyway:

For a long time now I've been in the quest for a perfect solution for
managing my (physical) books.  Basically, I want to keep track of the
basic metadata associated with a book (title, subtitle, author, genre,
publisher, etc).  I don't care about reading notes, as I want to keep
those separately.

In the past I used Tellico.  It's a great piece of software but it's
awefully bloated as I will need to install a bunch of KDE/QT-related
libraries that I don't want.  I then moved to use a simple spreadsheet.
It does the job but it's not ideal.  That's what I'm using at the moment,
but I'd like to have something easier to handle.

I have two major requirements:
1. I do *not* want online services -- everything will need to stay in my
   local computer
2. Open-source software only and, ideally, Emacs.

I would love to move to some orgmode-based solution but couldn't never
come up with a good idea on how to store the information.  Is there anyone
using orgmode for this sort of things?  Can you share your experience?

Cheers,
--
Luis