emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager

From: John Rakestraw
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 16:04:08 -0500

On 4 Feb 2021, at 10:44, Luis Henriques wrote:

Anyway, using .bib seems to be a very good suggestion (the best one I got in this thread so far!). Again, thanks and I'll definitely give Ebib a
try.

Cheers,
--
Luís

I hesitate to jump in here because others have much more experience than I do. I only recently started using bibtext/ebib to manage both books and journal articles that I'm reading, and the project is expanding to include books that I own. The one element I've added that I don't think has been mentioned here is zotero (https://www.zotero.org/). When I locate a journal article I want to read, I download the bib record into zotero and then download the article itself. When I want to add a book to my database, I find it in the university catalog and download the record into zotero. I regularly export the zotero records into a BibLaTeX database and then use Ebib to merge the newly exported database with my existing records. Ebib is very good at avoiding duplication of records, and I find it a very good tool for managing the library and also for organizing notes as I read a particular text. Thanks very much for your work on this, Joost.

Again, I suspect that others have a more efficient way of maintaining such things -- and I'm eager to learn from your experience -- but this is working very well for me thus far.

--John