emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 01:26:35 +0100

On Wed, Feb 03 2021, Luis Henriques wrote:
> Hopefully this isn't really too off-topic for the mailing-list.  Here it
> goes anyway:

Seems like the sort of question that this list was created for. :-)

> For a long time now I've been in the quest for a perfect solution for
> managing my (physical) books.  Basically, I want to keep track of the
> basic metadata associated with a book (title, subtitle, author, genre,
> publisher, etc).  I don't care about reading notes, as I want to keep
> those separately.

[...]

> I would love to move to some orgmode-based solution but couldn't never
> come up with a good idea on how to store the information.  Is there anyone
> using orgmode for this sort of things?  Can you share your experience?

You could perhaps keep your collection as a `.bib` file (or several `.bib`
files). There are a number of tools for working with `.bib` files in Emacs, (one
of which a package by yours truly, so I'm not entirely impartial here. ;-).

Of course, `.bib` files and the tools to work with them are more geared toward
reference management, so it depends a bit on what your goals are if they could
be of use, but for keeping tracks of a book collection, Ebib (my package) may be
an option. (It can actually link entries to external notes and you can also use
it to keep track of a reading list. Plus, I'm always open to feature requests.
;-)

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it, in case you hadn't considered the `.bib`
format as an option yet.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments