emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 16:25:28 +0100

"Paul W. Rankin via Emacs-humanities" <emacs-humanities@gnu.org> writes:

> I'd echo Joost's recommendation to use BibTex and Ebib, which is an
> incredible package. You can also edit the raw BibTex library file with
> bibtex-mode. This is definitely the best way if you ever intend to
> cite any of the books.
>
> Another option is GNU recutils [1] which is a plain text relational
> database. It comes with an Emacs interface. This is if you want to do
> fancy things like keeping a single record for each author, then
> performing a join for their books, with record like this:
>
> author: Joey Jojo Shabadoo
> id: 12
>
> title: The Critique of Pure Raisins
> year: 1995
> author_id: 12

In case someone might be interested, for personal use I have developed a
simple light markup system that allows me to create bibliography entries
in plain text and then export them (anywhere) to bibTeX/bibLaTeX format
(through a function in Elisp that I've written ad hoc).

An example for an "incollection" entry (the order of the fields is
indifferent:

<i> a{author(s) name} t{title} bt{book title} ed{editor(s) name}
loc{location} p{publisher} vol{volume} pag{22-43} y{2018} ...etc... !!!

and a screenshot: https://imgur.com/zTeCxGr

Well, if someone is interested, I could share the code here, although I
insist that it is for my own use and will probably need a lot of
improvements ;-). Anyway, It works reasonably well for everyday use.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel