emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager

From: Luis Henriques
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a library manager
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 12:07:29 +0000

On Thu, Feb 04, 2021 at 09:48:42PM +0100, M. ‘quintus’ Gülker wrote:
> Am 03. Februar 2021 um 22:25 Uhr +0000 schrieb Luis Henriques:
> > For a long time now I've been in the quest for a perfect solution for
> > managing my (physical) books.  Basically, I want to keep track of the
> > basic metadata associated with a book (title, subtitle, author, genre,
> > publisher, etc).
>
> The most simple solution would just be a table in org mode probably.

Hmm... at the moment I keep my data in (lo) spreadsheet and I really don't
want to move from it into a similar format in Org.  I *could* use
headings+properties and use that to automatically create tables for
exporting.  But using tables for storing the data doesn't looking like a
good idea (for ex, for performance as already pointed out by others).

Anyway, I appreciate the suggestion.  And I *may* end up using Org tables
for exporting data even if I start using Ebib for managing my collection
(it shouldn't be too difficult to pick data from .bib files into tables).

Cheers,
--
Luis