emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] E-ink tablets

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] E-ink tablets
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 16:03:55 +1000

On 2021-02-04 03:42, Göktuğ Kayaalp wrote:

I just watched a couple videos of the Pomera and it’s pretty cool
actually. The way it unfolds from that compact box shape is nice.  The
screen is pretty low tho, is it ergonomical to type on like that,
esp. for your neck?

I hadn't considered this before, so yesterday I tried to be aware of my posture. The Pomera certainly requires looking down, so has the potential to cause forward-head posture (aka iHunch), but doesn't feel much different to working at a laptop. If anything, I think that a laptop screen feels like a window that you can "peer into", which seems to encourage me to hunch closer, whereas an E-ink screen feels like a paper surface and doesn't encourage this. But of course this is just unreliable self-reporting.

Probably the biggest difference from a laptop (apart from the enforced functional limitation) is that a laptop screen, similar to a cinema screen, feels that it encases the viewer's consciousness, i.e. when absorbed in the screen you're detached from the reality beyond the screen's edge. This often makes my days feel "stuck" when at a computer. The Pomera screen doesn't have this effect; it feels more "open" and more akin to being at a typewriter.

Also, some people have already put Debian and Emacs on the DM200:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3RopZqWgTI
- http://hitoriblog.com/?p=51448

Intriguing... and dangerously so. It took me a while on Google Translate to figure out this was not a stock Debian image. According to King Jim the DM30 and DM200 don't share firmware code, so attempting this would probably be a quick way to brick my Pomera!