emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] How do you keep engaged with your writings?

From: Oliver Taylor
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] How do you keep engaged with your writings?
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 16:10:47 -0800

Seems like I’m not alone in struggling to figure out how to best use computers
and paper notebooks to organize my life!

For paper notebooks I’ve taken a lot of inspiration from 2 systems: Bullet
Journaling (seems I’m not alone), and Pile of Index Cards (which had a wiki[1]
and an informative photo album[2] whose example photos are not in English, but
all the comments and descriptions are).

1:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180227170527/http://pileofindexcards.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
2: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hawkexpress/albums/72157594200490122>

Numbering the pages of a notebook and reserving a few pages at the beginning
for an index have had the biggest impact on getting the most out of my
notebooks. Basically, any time you write something you might want to read later
you name it in the index and write the page number. I also periodically go back
through pages and add things to the index. You don’t want it to be so detailed
that it becomes difficult to manage, but I’ve organized hundreds of pages of
notes this way.

But, that said, I don’t organize my life with paper. Organizing my life with
software (org mode) is just easier and more powerful. But I do have a general
rule for the distinction: computers are for organizing, paper is for thinking.