emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] E-ink tablets

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] E-ink tablets
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 20:42:48 +0300

On 2021-02-03 19:29 +10, "Paul W. Rankin via Emacs-humanities"
<emacs-humanities@gnu.org> wrote:
> On 2021-02-03 18:23, M. ‘quintus’ Gülker wrote:
>> Am 03. Februar 2021 um 04:29 Uhr +0300 schrieb Göktuğ Kayaalp:
>>> Here are some faux gardens of Eden on Earth tho:
>>> https://www.e-ink-info.com/e-ink-devices/e-ink-laptops
>> The other devices are appearently meant to specifically target writers
>> who seek distraction-less writing. However, when I see these little
>> screens resembling laptops from the 90ies, I earnestly need to ask:
>> why not just use a real typewriter instead? The page is larger and
>> well functioning typewriters can still be easily and cheaply found.
>> For postprocessing, use OCR; character recognition has improved a lot
>> in the past years, even with open-source software like tesseract.
>>
>> None of these devices is actually a tablet.

@quintus: Yeah, that’s the sad reality. None are practically nor
economically viable. I’d rather get a System76 laptop instead.

But I do see these as evolutionary steps towards full e-ink only
laptops.  My ideal would be a fully foldable laptop that has only a ~12"
colour e-ink screen with pen-only touch input.

> I actually have a Pomera DM30 and I love it! I got it precisely due to
> some of the drawbacks of my typewriter. Despite the Olivetti Lettera 32
> being intended as a "portable" typewriter, it weighs 5.9kg so the extent
> of its portability is probably going from my desk to its place beside my
> desk. Also, a typewriter is loud. Loud enough to prohibit its use at
> night in an apartment building -- it's not the plucky
> "click-click-click" in the movies but a more violent
> "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK".

I think there are some "silent" typewriters, tho I don’t know of /
recall any brands or models.

Another thing with typewriters and portability is that once you take it
out of the box in public they are like a parrot: loud, colourful,
attention grabbing. Having transported mine around after buying or for a
fix a couple times, I can tell you for sure even if you have the most
silent typewriter, you’ll never have any peace while carrying it in
public, let alone writing on it :)

I just watched a couple videos of the Pomera and it’s pretty cool
actually. The way it unfolds from that compact box shape is nice.  The
screen is pretty low tho, is it ergonomical to type on like that,
esp. for your neck?

Also, some people have already put Debian and Emacs on the DM200:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3RopZqWgTI
- http://hitoriblog.com/?p=51448

Best,

        -gk.