emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] E-ink tablets

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] E-ink tablets
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 10:23:44 +0300

On 2021-02-05 16:03 +10, "Paul W. Rankin" <pwr@bydasein.com> wrote:
> I hadn't considered this before, so yesterday I tried to be aware of my
> posture. The Pomera certainly requires looking down, so has the
> potential to cause forward-head posture (aka iHunch), but doesn't feel
> much different to working at a laptop. If anything, I think that a
> laptop screen feels like a window that you can "peer into", which seems
> to encourage me to hunch closer, whereas an E-ink screen feels like a
> paper surface and doesn't encourage this. But of course this is just
> unreliable self-reporting.

Thanks for testing and reporting, that’s nice to know. Indeed, screens
project lots of light into your eyes and I sometimes find myself pulled
in even with the 24" screen I’m looking at now which I can see perfectly
from an arms length.

> Probably the biggest difference from a laptop (apart from the enforced
> functional limitation) is that a laptop screen, similar to a cinema
> screen, feels that it encases the viewer's consciousness, i.e. when
> absorbed in the screen you're detached from the reality beyond the
> screen's edge. This often makes my days feel "stuck" when at a computer.
> The Pomera screen doesn't have this effect; it feels more "open" and
> more akin to being at a typewriter.

Hmmm... I wonder if there are any studies into this phenomenon because I
notice I don’t ever really see the Post-Its and pages I’ve hanged on the
wall behind the monitor, whether it’s the small laptop screen or a
bigger screen.  It sort of blinds my peripheral vision indeed.

>> Also, some people have already put Debian and Emacs on the DM200:
>> - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3RopZqWgTI
>> - http://hitoriblog.com/?p=51448
> Intriguing... and dangerously so. It took me a while on Google Translate
> to figure out this was not a stock Debian image. According to King Jim
> the DM30 and DM200 don't share firmware code, so attempting this would
> probably be a quick way to brick my Pomera!

Oh, unlucky.

Best,

        -gk.