emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] E-ink tablets (was: How do you keep engaged with

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] E-ink tablets (was: How do you keep engaged with your writings?)
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 04:29:42 +0300

On 2021-02-02 21:28 +01, M. ‘quintus’ Gülker <post+emacs-humanities@guelker.eu>
wrote:
> Am 01. Februar 2021 um 22:47 Uhr +0300 schrieb Göktuğ Kayaalp:
>> I wish there was a way to bring that
>> beauty and comfort to digital land.  E-ink tablets/laptops in the
>> future, maybe?
> https://figbert.com/posts/remarkable-tablet/
> https://lobste.rs/s/cdhgjg/quite_remarkable_device
> It seems to be a fine device for handwriting, but fails if you need to
> view PDFs on it.

Looks like it. I watched eons of videos on this (both remarkable version
and also other similar devices), and if I had the abundance of money I
wouldn’t hesitate to get one just to try for a couple weeks, but yeah,
my impression is, they are fairly good at imitating paper, but fail in
combining the best of both worlds, even less so when it comes to
annotating.

> Thinking about it: what about an e-ink tablet with an integrated
> detachable bluetooth keyboard that runs Emacs? Use hand scribbling if
> you need the freedom; use keyboard + Emacs if you need all the power.
> I do not think such a device exists yet, unless you jailbreak an
> existing one that has a Bluetooth chip on it.

Yeah, this is more or less what I imagine heaven is like :)

Here are some faux gardens of Eden on Earth tho:
https://www.e-ink-info.com/e-ink-devices/e-ink-laptops

-gk.