Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 06:22:43 -0000

I have offered to participate in a re-vitalised AFFS which you nicely acknowledged, and since then you have been rude to me, even appearing to question my right to post to this mailing list.

Perhaps because I have not provided the information you wanted, but rather nicely suggested (having had personal experience with more than one lapsing organization) that you won't get any answers because there aren't any, you seem to think you can be rude and expect me to shut up and go away. This is the message that your attitude communicates.

As far as I see it having read all of the posts, there are no officers, their election having lapsed and you are (probably) the only member, in which case it may have been down to you in the last few years to hold elections and post meeting notices, but possibly (for valid personal reasons too, no doubt) you were paying about as much attention as everyone else seems to have been. It has been suggested that if you are the only member that there is even no association.

If you don't want "not members" (which is probably almost everyone except you) and "never members" to join in the conversation, then - having placed your notice - hold the discussion in private.

As you are holding a public discussion I'm trying to be helpful; and state some things that I thought you would have known but appear not to:

Volunteers often over estimate their ability in an underestimated capacity. In other words they are helpful and hopeful and often the other members leave them to get on with it and members often don't even bother to make themselves aware of how well the volunteer is managing under the new burden. Perhaps you fall under this category of member, and if so, no doubt you have your reasons just as everyone else will.

You seem to have believe that you have a better understanding of the responsibilities and liabilities of these officers (and perhaps you do) but if you do, how can you be surprised if these officers fail to understand these responsibilities as well as you do, and fail to meet your demands? Even now they are acting as volunteers in answering your questions.

And when I see what appears to be veiled legal threats and accusations of non-members eyeing up the funds; I just have to ask: Can't you see that it's not working? Whatever you are trying to do and find out is not working - you need the co-operation of these old members and officers, and you aren't getting that. Many people reply and tell you WHY you aren't, but you don't try another approach.

I do not see how the AFFS can be resurrected - as the main instigator has both practically declared it to be a legal impossibility as well as alienating everyone who could help!

Who can answer your questions now after threats of being made to answer? Will the answer be used in evidence? You adversarial posturing makes one question the wisdom in telling you anything at all about the facts - it may be safer to not try to recall a faulty memory and just let the money go to the crown.

My reading is this:
If we can't tell how many members there are, then we can't suppose that the association has ceased to exist, only that it has failed to keep some of it's rules. If this much can't be agreed then there isn't enough agreement to re-start anyway - if you want to resurrect, then keep it that way, have a few new people pay their dues and elect new officers. (I don't think I want to be one, the burden seems too great now).

Sam