Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 08:28:38 +0000

Hi Sam,

Just for the sake of clarity on one topic:

Sam Liddicott wrote:
And when I see what appears to be veiled legal threats and accusations of non-members eyeing up the funds; I just have to ask: Can't you see that it's not working? Whatever you are trying to do and find out is not working - you need the co-operation of these old members and officers, and you aren't getting that. Many people reply and tell you WHY you aren't, but you don't try another approach.

I don't think there is an issue with having previous members of the committee give John the answer he's looking for: so in that sense, he certainly hasn't lost my co-operation. What John was offered and has now lost was having a chat or a meeting, at his option, to go through his questions in depth, or to continue written communications on a "best effort" basis. He doesn't want that, and that's his choice. However, coming up with reliably accurate information isn't going to happen overnight - Adam has already explained issues surrounding the bank account, for example. That's led to accusations of "defensiveness" and "evasion"; well, I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. Had this been all sweetness and light I don't think any further information would be available right now; so in that sense the approach makes no difference.

I'm afraid I don't personally feel the desire to involve myself heavily in the current discussions: I've made some suggestions and given my point of view on a couple of topics, and hopefully I've made it very clear that I'm willing to spend time on this problem (and, in fact, have been already this year with other ex-members). In that respect, I totally agree with you about tone and conduct; I suspect in another conversation very many people would have been entirely more willing and it would have been a lot more constructive.