Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 18:54:45 +0000

Nick Hill <address@hidden> wrote:
> The AFFS could still exist as a free-standing informal arrangement, or
> perhaps
> as an informal arrangement under the formal aegis of FSFE?

With the reforms to FSFE with greater representation of the fellowship
in decision-making (if I recall correctly), using dissolution of AFFS
to give FSFE a UK bank account (to avoid irritating GBP-EUR transfer
and exchange fees) may be a good legacy, if there's no distinctive
reason for AFFS to continue.

Only drawbacks are that FSFE fellowship (EUR 120 to 60) is much more
expensive than AFFS membership ever was (GBP 10) and I think it
involves receiving non-free software on a card (search old fsfe
discussion mailing list archives to confirm or refute that, I think).

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)