Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 12:18:29 +0000

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 11:39 +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> > I will expect this specific question answered by the same time next
> > week.
>
> I've never been an AFFS member, and have no connections to those who
> have run it in the past, but as *I'm* finding your strident tone on this
> topic offensive, I wonder how those who did put time and effort in find
> it, and whether it will hinder your aims.

I think cock-up is usually more likely than conspiracy :-) In this case
I think just too many other pressing things to do for people who were
acting in good faith. Certainly true in my own case. The problem with
formal bureaucracies is that they take resources to operate. This is why
SF-UK dissloved as a legal entity and just became a loose association
again. Maybe that is a better route for AFFS. At least then we don't
divert effort into pedantic debates about the minutae of the
constitution and can concentrate on getting more FOSS education and
usage out there.

> It's gone wrong, it needs sorting out, information from others may be
> needed.  Perhaps you could switch to assuming none of the past actions
> were malevolent and that the parties involved are happy to try and help
> where they can.

If there is money in the kitty and people feel aggrieved, give them a
refund and the rest to some specific open development project eg donate
it to Moodle, OOo or something. Then simply act as an advocacy list and
give support to other projects where we can.