Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 13:50:26 +0000

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 13:34 +0000, John¹ wrote:
> I can't see that there is a need for a new organisation, just for a new set
> of rules for the existing one, again a matter for the existing paid up
> members

A new organisation would have the benefit of a new and clean
constitution. It could also take the form of a more beneficial type of
organisation if that were appropriate.

If that's the path which seems most appropriate I think it would be
worthwhile to first ask what it is that AFFS (or it's successor) should
actually be and do.

A "free software fan club" is clearly not needed. Is there a need for a
campaigning organisation - if so what kind of campaigns and to what
ends? Is there a particular charitable objective that AFFS might serve
well - if not the idea of being a charity is not worth pursuing.
Something else - if so what?

All of concerns, including the money, are, I think, secondary to first
answering this one - even if it turns out the answer is that there is no
worthwhile purpose to try and achieve.

Jason