Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS

From: Clive Menzies
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 16:26:19 +0000

Adam Bower wrote:
On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 03:15:01PM +0000, John¹ wrote:

This raises two questions,
a) Who is it who is "currently involved with the AFFS", and is this person a paid up member?
I joined in October 2003 and paid a subscription. The following year I received a notification to renew in November from MJ Ray. I paid that year. MJ Ray resigned in June 2005. The last AGM seems to have occurred in 2005 and took place on Saturday 13th August in London. According to the September newsletter Chris Croughton and Mark Hymers were appointed as new committee members.

I received no further requests for subscriptions but did see some correspondence on the list in 2006 indicating that AFFS was in limbo and in need of reinvigoration. But I, like many others I suspect, didn't have time to make a contribution. Perhaps, subject to the charter/articles of AFFS, all those who were members at the last AGM (2005) ought to be given the opportunity to vote on a proposal:

To reconstitute AFFS with a realistic set of objectives and operating parameters.

To create a new organisation and pass the accumulated funds to it.

Distribute the funds to other projects.

A precursor to such a vote might involve refunding subscriptions paid after the 2005 AGM. I haven't got time to go into this in great detail but would welcome a resolution for the benefit of free software.

Regards

Clive