Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS

From: John¹
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 10:55:41 +0000

On Sunday 01 March 2009 10:45:01 Adam Bower wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 03:00:50PM +0000, Marc Eberhard wrote:
> > I have stopped paying my subscription to AFFS when it failed to invite
> > members to an AGM. As far as I remember it was a requirement for AFFS
> > to hold at least one annual meeting. So the situation might be really
> > tricky in legal terms. I also have not received any information from
> > AFFS until August
>
> I believe (from memory) that to reach quorum the AFFS constitutuion
> (which AFFS is now well outside of) requires 20 members to be present
> at a meeting. Is there any practical way around this requirement given
> the current rules and state of the organisation?

Having served on other bodies I believe that there is, I'll see if I can
find the information from a national body that I sat on when
it 'transferred its engagements'.

> > I don't know if I'm still a member with outstanding fees or no member
> > anymore.
>
> This indeed is something that needs to be answered, Is it possible that
> re-opening membership could provide a practical solution to gaining
> quorum and holding a meeting? It also makes me wonder what would happen
> if we couldn't reach quorum? We also have the situation that people are
> being asked to pay membership fees and attend a meeting for what may
> turn out to be a decision to wind up AFFS.
>
> Is it more practical to wind up AFFS and then restart with a new
> organisation that has similar aims but a much more simple constitution
> and rules or try to reboot AFFS and drastically change the constitution
> which has proven to have effectively crippled it and caused it to drift
> into the state that it is now in?

There does remain the question of the funds in the AFFS Bank account, I'm
not sure that the present members would wish to allow them to fall by
default to the government, (as a dormant account), and they are, in part,
donations, some of them sizeable, intended for specific purposes.

However, your is a positive contribution to finding a way forward.

--
John Seago
GNU/Linux Registered User No. #219566 http://counter.li.org/