Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS

From: Nick Hill
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 14:59:26 +0000

To say "The AFFS is there, let's make something good of it" is probably an idea mooted many times, but as proven by time, is basically like flogging a dead horse. Unless someone is active and breathing life into it, it may as well not exist.

I support John's enthusiasm to bring AFFS to some sensible state, but strongly believe it be done with the assumption that those who have been involved have given their time with the best of intentions. As far as I know, those involved are good fellows with a history of doing good things for free software.

The value in the AFFS must be it's membership base. That is what really needs to be preserved. Once the AFFS is dissolved, the current and former membership base ceases to exist. That would be a shame, and would result in most of the effort invested in the AFFS simply evaporating.

The solution is to contact everyone who has expressed interest in the AFFS, whilst the AFFS is 'alive', asking them either:

1) To join this list
2) If FSFE is willing, for a one-off opportunity to join FSFE.
3) For their contact details to be held in trust by someone and they be contacted if anyone should want to re-launch an organisation similar to the AFFS.

Does anyone have records of email addresses for former members?

I appreciate what M.J. Ray mentions about shortcomings of FSFE, but at the end of the day, these can presumably be fixed if the membership so desires.