Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS

From: Adam Bower
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 10:45:01 +0000

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 03:00:50PM +0000, Marc Eberhard wrote:

> I have stopped paying my subscription to AFFS when it failed to invite
> members to an AGM. As far as I remember it was a requirement for AFFS to
> hold at least one annual meeting. So the situation might be really tricky in
> legal terms. I also have not received any information from AFFS until August

I believe (from memory) that to reach quorum the AFFS constitutuion
(which AFFS is now well outside of) requires 20 members to be present
at a meeting. Is there any practical way around this requirement given
the current rules and state of the organisation?

> I don't know if I'm still a member with outstanding fees or no member
> anymore.

This indeed is something that needs to be answered, Is it possible that
re-opening membership could provide a practical solution to gaining
quorum and holding a meeting? It also makes me wonder what would happen
if we couldn't reach quorum? We also have the situation that people are
being asked to pay membership fees and attend a meeting for what may
turn out to be a decision to wind up AFFS.

Is it more practical to wind up AFFS and then restart with a new
organisation that has similar aims but a much more simple constitution
and rules or try to reboot AFFS and drastically change the constitution
which has proven to have effectively crippled it and caused it to drift
into the state that it is now in?

Thanks
Adam
--