Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS still active?

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS still active?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:18:16 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Alex Hudson wrote:

> I think the point of my mails has been missed; I'm not saying we should
> be headed in a specific direction.

OK, so if AFFS doesn't have a specific direction what is it there for?

I'm not suggesting AFFS should not be there but rather hoping to see a
clear vision as to what AFFS hopes to acheive.

It seems to me the first step in that is to clearly understand what needs
either of the Free Software communities in the UK or more generally, but
that are particularly relevant, AFFS is expecting to address.

My point is that if you don't identify a particular need you'll end up
without much by way of meaningful direction.

> There are organisations in this country which are covering part of the
> issues which AFFS did address; for example, the FLOSSIE conference was
> something AFFS helped start, and as well as Schoolforge UK you now have
> things like the Open Schools Alliance (cf. the recent EDM). Does it make
> sense to think about addressing that? Not really.

Having given birth to or assisted in the launching of complementary
organisations has been a success for AFFS. Maintaining contact with them
is, of course, likely to be beneficial however the question remains -
beneficial to what aim?

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG                       Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/             up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98