Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS still active?

From: Martyn
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS still active?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:21:56 +0000

Martin Wheeler wrote:
Only when you're arguing with Londoners!

London is:
     - dangerous
     - overcrowded
     - expensive
     - difficult & slow to get around in
     - generally difficult to work in.
I'd have to agree on most of those points but, I would point out that outskirts (Bristol, Bath et al) are FAR more difficult to get /to/ from outside of London.

Personally there's no way I could afford to get down to London and would have no hope of trying to do so on a weekday. (finish work at six, fastest train takes two hours, nearly an hour to the train station..... so 9 before I arrive at kx, that gets me back home for midnight if I turn round straight away!)
I for one now refuse to work there.
I wish more people would follow suit.
Heh, from what I hear, the wages are better but the quality of life is worse... I'm a northerner and happy to stay up here. And as for european events... well, I'm by no means europhobic but I'm happy living, working, holidaying etc. in this country, so I don't have a passport, I see no need for one. A UK organisation meeting up in Brussels is just silly to me.

I don't drive either, so I'd like to suggest that meetings be held near transport hubs.... that means Kings Cross I guess, Manchester Picadilly, Leeds, York, Birmingham etc. I don't actually know of many hubs down south but those are the ones I go through on long journeys.

Obviously - Leeds would get my vote every time, Leeds station being an hours travel for me from walking out of the door, but Leeds and Manchester are pretty central to the whole country - I'm sure we have scottish people onlist or at least on side, I can't imagine any of them making a four hour journey to London for 8pm. Manchester is good for any welsh people as well... Ireland is trickier and I have no experience of travel to/from there, but I've picked up their phone networks in blackpool before now ;-).

--
Martyn Ranyard