Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS still active?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS still active?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:06:53 +0000

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 12:54 +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Alex Hudson wrote:
> > The main issue right now, in my mind, is having a. activists and b.
> > identifying the issues people care about (I probably have those in the
> > wrong order).
>
> Can someone tell me, briefly, what need AFFS exists to meet now?
>
> Surely if you are considering the possibility of refocusing your efforts
> the first step needs to be properly identifying the need you want to meet
> - the rest should flow from that.

I think you're asking the same question as my b. above, roughly.

A lot of the reasons AFFS was started have more or less gone away;
however, I think there are still problems specific to the UK which AFFS
could address (I'm not, however, saying it should...).

Specifically, I think the free software developer community in this
country is disparate and not well networked: while LUGs provide this to
an extent, we still rely on things like Linux Expos for hackers to meet
up. Google's recent Open Source Jams have had made it pretty clear to
me, at least, that there is an appetite for more avenues in that area.

And, as I said in the last e-mail, I think the voluntary sector take-up
of free software has been pretty awful.