Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS still active?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS still active?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:40:40 +0000

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 12:03 +0000, Andrew Savory wrote:
> > I think also having half an eye on what other people are doing
> > (Openforum Europe =~ Open Document Alliance/Certified Open, Open
> > Source
> > Consortium, National Open Centre (?)) in that area is worthwhile,
> > though.
>
> We should be friends with ORG, too.

Yep - and, to be fair, we did arrange a small gathering of us, FFII,
ORG, Open Source Consortium and a few others after the DRM thing at the
British Library this summer. Maintaining contacts with friendly
organisations hasn't really been a problem.

The main issue right now, in my mind, is having a. activists and b.
identifying the issues people care about (I probably have those in the
wrong order). It's not like the people who are involved with AFFS were
too busy for it per se (though that definitely helped), but we've been
active in different areas - the OSC and Open Schools Alliance stuff has
taken the interest of a few, and of course people are involved in pet
free software projects etc. too.

I think, for me, the "gaping hole" in the landscape is community and
voluntary development, as that hasn't been addressed particularly well,
and AFFS has always basically been about the free software community
anyway.