Re: [Fsfe-uk] What needs to be done.

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] What needs to be done.
Date: 30 Aug 2001 08:47:46 +0100

After about a week, I'll reply to my own email.

MJ Ray <address@hidden> writes:

> DECIDE ON THE FORM OF A UK FSF AFFILIATE ORGANISATION.

Still want to look at Greenpeace's formulation more, but I think an
association rather than a charity will be the way forwards here.
FSFE-UK will be a charity anyway, for donations of the tax money.

> DECIDE ON THE CHARTER

Mission: to promote and encourage the development of software on terms
which preserve the following freedoms: (list of freedoms from GNU site)

Specifics:

There will be a membership.  One may become a member of the
association by paying any membership fee that may exist.

There will be an executive of 8 members.  They will be selected by an
annual poll of all membership by single transferable vote according to
the rules of the Electoral Reform Society.

The executive will appoint a chair, secretary (responsible for
internal communications), treasurer (responsible for finances),
spokespeople (responsible for external communications) and other posts
as they choose.  No member of the executive may hold more than two
posts.  The secretary and spokespeople are the only people permitted
to speak in the association's name and they should be wary of doing
so.

The executive will conduct its business by accepting or rejecting
resolutions once a month.  Resolutions may make any decision which
does not contradict this charter.  Resolutions will be accepted or
rejected by a vote of the executive.  In the event of a tie, the chair
has the casting vote.

The members will advise the executive on the direction of the society
through public and private consultations.

> PICK A NAME

UK Association for the Freedoms of Software?  Or should it be British?

> DRAFT SOME POLICIES

The charter intentionally leaves most things open to resolution by
resolution.  Hopefully the executive will remember that doing stupid
things will result in a loss of membership and the slow death of the
association ;-)

> MEET FACE-TO-FACE

tba

> FORM THE ORGANISATION