Re: [Fsfe-uk] What needs to be done.

From: Marc Eberhard
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] What needs to be done.
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:59:14 +0100

Hi!

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 12:30:21PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> With the loss of any immediate opportunity to meet at an event, this
> list seems to have gone quite quiet recently.  Nothing has been said

Everyone on holiday maybe... :-)

> for a while about a face-to-face meeting in the midlands and it seems
> that this project is slowing down for a bit.  We could speculate about
> the reasons for that, but I think it's more useful to press on again.

The main reason for my silence is, that I'm on vacation 'till the end of the
month. As soon as I'm back, I will ask about rooms and accomodation at the
university.

Since we are no longer bound to the Linux Expo date, would a weekend be
better for most of us or during the week? Should we pick a later date? I
remember someone having trouble to come for financial problems.

> Now, these are just my random thoughts on the topic, but what I think
> we need to do are the following, not necessarily in this order:

Sounds good to me.

> I think there are two choices.  The first is an simple association,
> with certain assets in its name and being held between a number of
> "trustees" but not formally incorporated.  The second is a registered
> charity, which would give a few tax breaks, but cost more to set up
> and have ongoing legal costs.

I guess, we don't need charity status. Someone also pointed out, that
Greenpeace doesn't have this status, because it would limit its
possibilities to act in a poltical way. I don't know, how relevant their
argumentation is for our purposes, but we should look into it and see, if it
applies to us too.

> So, what are we going to do?  We need to be careful to remember the
> 80/20 rule and that the 20 may not be worth doing just now.

What is the 80/20 rule? Never heard of it.

> Just to work any remaining bugs out, as many as possible should meet
> somewhere in the midlands as soon as the above are nearly settled.

Yes, and I will try to find a possibility to do that as soon as I'm back to
work.

> Right, what did I miss?

Looks quite complete to me. :-)

Bye,