Re: [Fsfe-uk] What needs to be done.

From: Alistair Davidson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] What needs to be done.
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 04:08:05 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:

Marc Eberhard <address@hidden> writes:

Why British instead of UK? I have to admit, that the usage of "England",
"Great Britain", "United Kingdom" and "British" is sometime a bit confusing
to me. As far as I understand it, "England" is only a part of the UK,
because it leaves out Wales, Scotland, North Ireland and whatever else I
forgot, so that's not an option. However, what is the difference between GB
and UK. [...]

Now, I *think* that's right.  While the FSFE will need to follow the
legislative boundaries, or might be able to use the links to cover the
whole UK, the association is probably better off representing a
cultural unit such as the GB.  My Opinion Only.

Looked okay to me. Personally, I prefer "British" also. Generally, organisations tend to name themselves that way, so we have British Airways and British Telecom and so on, not UK Airways and UK Telecom.

You suggested the British Association for the Freedoms of Software. That's a good name, though I'm not sure whether freedom should be plural. I also like "British Association for Software Freedom", but there's not much difference.