Re: [Fsfe-uk] What needs to be done.

From: Marc Eberhard
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] What needs to be done.
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:17:30 +0100

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 10:30:30PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> I was trying to leave the door open a little bit more than just
> supporting Free Software.  Although that might be our goal, I'd like
> the association's mission to be to promote all of the freedoms of
> software, ie the concept behind Free Software, not just advocate Free
> Software the product, if you see what I mean.

That's a good idea, indeed.

> > UK Free Software Association?
>
> I was trying to avoid the term "Free Software" in the name, as it only
> preaches to the choir and I want the organisation to speak to
> non-members at least as clearly as to supporters.  While I detest the

OK, I see your point now.

> inaccurate marketing term "Open Source", I do agree with some of the
> reasoning that led to its creation, so I would rather talk about
> software freedoms than free software in external façades like the
> name.  I don't want anyone to think we're another freeware/PD software
> site -- not even for a second.

True.

> For the reasons given earlier, British Association for the Freedoms of
> Software is my current preferred name.  Any upgrades?

Why British instead of UK? I have to admit, that the usage of "England",
"Great Britain", "United Kingdom" and "British" is sometime a bit confusing
to me. As far as I understand it, "England" is only a part of the UK,
because it leaves out Wales, Scotland, North Ireland and whatever else I
forgot, so that's not an option. However, what is the difference between GB
and UK. Was that something about one include the Commonwealth and the other
not? Or is this inflation of names just another typical example of British
disorganisation? Anyway, I like UK Association more then British. Maybe
that's because I'm living in the UK, but I'm not British in any way.

Bye,
Marc

email: address@hidden
email: address@hidden, web: http://www.aston.ac.uk/~eberhama/