Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's ma

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's manual
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 13:50:20 +0000

On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 1:08 PM Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> wrote:
> > (defun eglot-dotted-to-plist (strings)
> >   "Return plist suitable for adding to `eglot-workspace-configuration'
> > STRINGS is a list of VSCode style dotted notation settings."
> >    ...)
> >
> > A fun exercise, probably.  First stab at it gets a virtual cookie :-)
>
> If you think this is the best approach, then let's make a
> Customize-based thing where you can enter the alist of "dotted names"
> and the corresponding value.

The helper function I'm proposing here is just an expedited
way to get a plist from the dotted notation that some people
seem to like.

I'm not a fan of Customize myself, and AFAIK it doesn't support
dir/file/buffer variable locality cleanly (or at all).  I think
the enhancements we are talking about should go to the existing
add-dir-local-variable,  add-file-local-variable etc.  Of course
you may convince others of the contrary and go on a Customize
overhauling adventure (of which I will probably not be a part of).

Anyway if eglot-dotted-to-plist appears in eglot.el anytime soon,
it's an improvement to work with a-d-l-v and a-f-l-v or whatever
variable setting-methods are available today ortomorrow.

If someone comes up with the code, I'll probably merge it soon and
mention its utility in the manual.

IOW, it's an improvement in this area, but is also orthogonal to
whichever UI is eventually chosen to simplify editing values
of Elisp variables in .dir-locals.el etc.

João