Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's ma

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's manual
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 11:13:40 +0000

On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 11:00 AM Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon,  6 Mar 2023 at 10:51, João Távora wrote:
>
> > Conveniently editing Emacs variables (file-local, dir-local, buffer
> > -local, global) interactively from the minibuffer (or some other similar
> > place) is an idea that has been discussed before here.  We could
> > restart that discussion.
>
> But this exists: add-local add-dir-local-variable,
> add-file-local-variable, customize-set-variable, set-variable are all
> interactive functions that use the minibuffer.  But I don't think this
> UI is the most suitable for this purpose.

Then they should be upgraded so that they do become suitable, because
this is first and foremost about editing variables.  For example, there
could be:

* a way to ask to do do the editing in a separate buffer
* a way to insert the current value of the variable to be added
  as the initial value of the thing to be read
* a way to ask to use 'eval' of the user's input rather then just
  'read' (here, an Eglot function could be used to spit out a plist
  from a bunch of dotted strings in VSCode style).
* maybe more?

Also, the LSP use case you're asking for here is for add-dir-local-variable
where the directory is the current project's project-root.  So maybe a
add-project-local-variable or somesuch would be a good first step.

> > If such a mechanism  is eventually agreed on for Emacs in general, Eglot
> > could very well take advantage, but don't think eglot.el should just make
> > its own idiosyncratic take on that.
>
> AFAICT this mechanism has been agreed upon.  VC log, Magit commit, Org
> capture, to name a few, all use the kind of UI I described.

These are not for editing values of Emacs Lisp variables.

João