Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's ma

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's manual
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 17:10:00 +0100

On Mon,  6 Mar 2023 at 13:50, João Távora wrote:

> I'm not a fan of Customize myself, and AFAIK it doesn't support
> dir/file/buffer variable locality cleanly (or at all).  I think
> the enhancements we are talking about should go to the existing
> add-dir-local-variable,  add-file-local-variable etc.  Of course
> you may convince others of the contrary and go on a Customize
> overhauling adventure (of which I will probably not be a part of).

To be clear, I didn't mean that we should use Customize to save the
values.  I just said a Customize-type buffer with widgets could be used
to view and edit the so-called "workspace configuration".

If you use Gnus, I'd suggest to try M-x gnus-group-edit-group-parameters
and M-x gnus-group-customize in the Group buffer to see how the two
ideas I raised here look like in practice.

> Anyway if eglot-dotted-to-plist appears in eglot.el anytime soon,
> it's an improvement to work with a-d-l-v and a-f-l-v or whatever
> variable setting-methods are available today ortomorrow.

I think this could be helpful; maybe a lot, maybe just a little.  If I
may give an honest opinion, I think you've searching for the minimal
quick fix for this configuration conundrum for some time now and it
doesn't look it's working.

We wouldn't be discussing any of this is LSP servers had configuration
files like any other normal program, but, given the state of affairs, we
should just decide on an "actually good" solution and spend the 300 LOC
it takes to implement that.