Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's ma

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's manual
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 16:25:14 +0000

On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 4:10 PM Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Anyway if eglot-dotted-to-plist appears in eglot.el anytime soon,
> > it's an improvement to work with a-d-l-v and a-f-l-v or whatever
> > variable setting-methods are available today ortomorrow.
>
> I think this could be helpful; maybe a lot, maybe just a little.  If I
> may give an honest opinion, I think you've searching for the minimal
> quick fix for this configuration conundrum for some time now and it
> doesn't look it's working.

I'm looking for the right fix.  Proceeding minimally and deliberately
is how I roll, and that's how I avoid bloat that I know I won't
have time to maintain.

> We wouldn't be discussing any of this is LSP servers had configuration
> files like any other normal program, but, given the state of affairs, we
> should just decide on an "actually good" solution and spend the 300 LOC
> it takes to implement that.

I gave my take on where those 300 LOC should be spent:

add-dir-local-variable with new edit-in-buffer option, an eval option,
and a fill-in-existing-value option.  As a bonus, all those are
orthogonal, so you can do 100 + 100 + 100.

João