Re: [be] future bibledit

From: Neil Mayhew
Subject: Re: [be] future bibledit
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 12:01:54 -0700

On 2010-03-09 4:39 AM Dan Dennison wrote:
Everyone has their own favorite toolkit, but for cross-platform support with offline capability, the Google Web Toolkit fits the bill. Something you may really like about GWT is its use of Model-View-Controller-Presenter. That is, you can use a similar structural methodology that you use now in GTK+ with a web application.

Take a look at Pyjamas, which is an implementation of GWT in Python. It even has Pyjamas-Desktop which allows you to run Pyjamas applications locally in a pure Python environment, without the compilation step to JavaScript. This is very helpful for debugging.

GWT also has an Eclipse plugin, so you don't even have to leave your current environment.

Yes, but you do have to program in Java. I think programming in Python would be a much shallower learning curve, and also more productive and compact.

Finally, the biggest drawback to an HTTP-based Bible Editor without offline capability is its local size requirements. Having to run a web server, database server, and web browser is too much for our users right now. They don't have laptops that are that powerful yet. That said, they might in 5-10 years, and we'll be happy it exists then.

I would like to second this. Low-power computing on netbooks and smartphones is becoming very important for enabling local people to take on a major share of the translation work. Although some may be using a computer in an internet café, for which a web-based application would be ideal, many others will be working disconnected on their own, low-power hardware. I believe the availability of netbooks and tablets, especially in the $200 price range, with built-in cellular internet for email, will reduce the use of internet cafés considerably.

Therefore we need an editing environment that runs snappily on a machine with 512MB RAM and a 1GHz processor.

--Neil